Tuesday, April 24, 2012

time out for a little home dec

A funny thing happens when you get pretty new floors in your house. Everything else starts to look old. Take these tables, for example. They have been the end tables in our family room for, oh, say 18 years. 
If you look closely you can see how worn they are. See all those spots where people put their drinks down NEXT TO the coaster instead of on it??? We won't name any names here, but seriously, all those sweaty glasses caused the "fake wood" to bubble & wear away. Lovely.

 We have looked for new tables, but haven't found what we want. So, yesterday, I decided I had nothing to lose by trying to save the old tables. It was a gorgeous day in Texas, low 70s, no real wind. Perfect for a little backyard spraypaint party! I spread some old sheets out on the grass & set to work.
 It took a few coats of paint (I used satin finish black spraypaint from Lowes, the Valspar brand). I did what the can said, put the paint on in several light coats & left plenty of time in between coats for it to dry. Those of you who know me well know how hard the waiting time was for me!
 But the end result was so worth it! I feel like I have brand new tables!
You might notice that my sofa is suspiciously missing! Check back later in the week to see what is being delivered on Thursday.....

5 comments:

Maria said...

WOW Ellyn you did a fabulous job of doing up the old tables. They look like new ones and look so good on the new floor.Well done!!!
Oh you must be getting a new couch???

Your Shadow Quilt looks lovely too.

Lisa said...

They look great!

Maria said...

Oh how exciting!!! All new lovely lounge chairs and a love seat and all. Lucky you!!!!!
Hugz
Maria

Melissa said...

They turned out great - looks like a whole new table!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Awesome!! What a way to reuse what you already have. Nice job!