Tuesday, July 10, 2012

barbados bag pattern review

On the first of July, the gals at The Quilt Asylum hosted a terrific market review party to show us all of the cool new products from spring Quilt Market. When they showed the new pattern from Pink Sand Beach Design I knew I had to make one! I've made several of their bags before, including the Tahiti Tote that I made recently, and I have never been disappointed. 

The Barbados Bag is a good sized hipster style bag (my iPad even fits inside! I checked). It has lots of pockets including a zipper pocket on the front. The main bag is also closed with a zipper. It's really a great bag! I had a fat quarter bundle that I had bought several years ago on a trip to Arizona and had never used so I decided to cut into it for this. I do believe I have enough left over to make another bag in another color way.

As always, the pattern has lots of terrific pictures and step by step instructions. There were a couple of steps that were not very clear to me (putting the tabs on the zipper for the outside pocket was one. I'm still not sure I did it right, but it looks great). Also, even though the pattern said "make sure the strap isn't twisted" and "made sure the strap is tucked inside the bag before you sew" and even though I swear I checked BOTH of these things, somehow my strap ended up both twisted AND looped outside the bag. Argh! My fault certainly, not the patterns!

I'd say this is an advanced beginner pattern. The zippers do go in easily and look very nice finished off. I am certain I will make this pattern again. You should probably make one too. Just sayin...

4 comments:

Maria said...

That sounds like a great bag with lots of zippers. Love the fabric you used...

Lisa said...

What a great looking bag. Love that it fits an ipad!

Linda Lai said...

I thought the instructions were convoluted; the instructors in my class even complained.

Deb said...

This is a great bag my sister made several. I however am not so lucky. I am good with patterns but I am lost. Have had this for a year still have not figured it out.
My sister does not live close by.