Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Sunday and a pattern review


I hope you all had a wonderful Easter! Ours was fantastic! After church, we went to visit some friends who have a beautiful field of Texas Bluebonnets in their yard. Ally got dressed up all pretty and let me take some pictures of her in the bluebonnets....

Back at home, Ally had made me a basket this year! What a treat (you can see her basket behind mine)
 My basket has a pretty candle, a puzzle, socks and notebooks and pens.

I spent the rest of the day sewing. I had bought the Washi Dress pattern months ago. I confess, I was hesitating to make it because I was afraid of the elastic thread shirring on the back. Silly me! I followed the directions, used all of the hints and tricks in the pattern and it was a breeze. In fact the whole pattern was easy and fun to make. Oh, and it has POCKETS! Yay for pockets!

 My only complaint is the sizing. This pattern is not sized for gals with big busts (like me). Despite the fact that I have lost quite a bit of weight in the last year (and inches just about everywhere) I made a large (which matched my bust measurement). The dress is quite tight in the bust. I let the side seams out as much as I could, but if I make it again I will use an even larger size.
 Also, the cute little scoop cut out in the front is quite revealing on me. I solved that by popping a tank underneath which is fine. Again, next time I make it, I will leave this little detail out. This time around I left off the little cap sleeves and faced the armhole openings with purchased bias tape. Easy as pie!

All in all, I really like this pattern and will probably make it again, using the adjustments shared here. Have you made anything for yourself lately?

2 comments:

Sally said...

I've been thinking about buying this pattern to make for myself. I'm glad to read a curvy lady's perspective :) What kind of fabric did you use?

Maria said...

What a gorgeous photo of Ally in the field of flowers...

That's a nice dress and I can see where you need to do adjustments next time..

No don't sew clothes anymore,not since i became a patchworker..LOL