Tuesday, February 10, 2015

memories

While Ally & I are in Cleveland, we are so lucky to be staying at my sisters house. So nice to have a home to relax in and be able to cook meals (not that I'm a great cook or anything. just saying.). It appears we're going to be in town for quite a while. Since my sister has been making noise about learning to sew (WHO IS THIS WOMAN??? certainly not the anti-crafty little girl I grew up with! but I digress.) I got on Amazon and ordered us a basic Brother machine which will be delivered today (thank you Amazon Prime!). I figured I can work on some little projects during the day and teach her the basics before I leave town.

When her husband got word of this, he disappeared into the basement & returned lugging this (he's a strong man! But this baby weighs a TON!).....
 Immediately I was ten years old again, learning to sew on Mom's original machine.....
 There was even a needle & a bobbin in the machine and Dave was quick to plug her in (all sewing machines are "hers" right? Well except for Ally's brother machine, which is named Steve, but that's another story for another day) and I'll be darned if she didn't run! Granted the motor sounds like a truck & the whole table vibrated but she ran! And..... she's aqua. sigh.

So many happy memories, most of Mom, working away at her making us scooter skirts, bell bottom pants, halter tops, flannel night gowns, Easter dresses, Raggedy Anne costumes.... the list goes on and on! She even sewed matching leisure suits for my Dad and brothers. If I'm not mistaken, they were mint green polyester. Very fashionable!

Do you remember the machine you learned to sew on? Do you still have it? Do share.


4 comments:

Maria said...

What a treasure.. I don't have the machine I learnt on anymore but I do have my first machine I owned.

Melissa said...

So fun to let such a treasure bring back memories!

Julianne said...

Wow what a treasure! I love that beautiful Aqua color, Awesome! I use my moms Singer 301a almost everyday for my piecing, her name is Betsy and I love her!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Sure! It's the one I own. LOL!! Love that aqua beast. Are you going to sneak her home??