Tuesday, May 12, 2015

playing with quilt as you go.... updated

About a week ago, Svetlana of Sotak Handmade posted this tutorial about the quilt as you go technique. I had seen this done before but hadn't really done it myself. I filed it away in my mental to-do list for another time. Then, today, Debbie at A Quilter's Table posted this about her experience with Svetlana's technique. Well I happened to have some free time today and these 2 posts were just the nudge I needed to try something new!

After some scrap digging and improv piecing, here is the square of quilt-as-you-go fabric I ended up with:


I used a couple of orphan blocks I had in my stash along with some strip piecing left over from my Bluebonnets quilt, along with some other pieces out of my scrap bin. I really like the way it turned out! And, following Svetlana and Debbie's leads, I decided to make a pouch out of it. I chose to make myself a Lola Pouch, slightly varying the measurements so I could get the most out of my panel.

I've made bunches of these pouches before, but never one for me!

Now, what should I put inside?

Update......
I was not happy with the way my binding went onto this pouch. I used a leftover piece of binding from another project and it was not cut on the bias. While that works well for many projects, I have had much better luck with bias binding on the Lola Pouch. So.... this morning I took the binding off of my pouch and replaced it with a striped bias binding. I almost didn't do it, because the pouch is just for me, blah blah blah. But I'm so happy I did! It lays so much nicer now!

Have a happy day!

6 comments:

Maria said...

WOW love it.. Does it need to go on the list with the Pouch???
Just at Patch with the ladies and showed them your table runner with the great border. Is there a link to the tutorial.

Debbie said...

This turned out darling! Isn't it great to try something new! Another technique in your quilting tool kit!

Melissa said...

What a FUN pouch! How about filling it with colored pencils, grabbing a journal, and heading out for a day of sketching? Well . . . maybe on a better weather day! LOL

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

MUCH better with the bias binding. I have some Day Sail scraps that are too small to be used for anything but MAYBE in this "quilt as you go" technique, I may be able to use them. Off to go read!

Deb C said...

Very nice! I like the striped binding.

Kim said...

Your pouch turned out very pretty!